Historical Photographs of Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire
Moor Park 1871.
This photograph taken by Henri Victor Lemenager of Bushey, Hertfordshire in 1871 is probably the earliest photograph of this building. Moor Park near Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire was originally built by the 3rd Earl of Bedford about 1617. It was rebuilt in 1678-79 by James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth. After he was beheaded his wife sold it to Benjamin Haskins-Stiles, who invested his fortune from the South Sea Company remodelling the exterior circa 1720. The architect was Giacomo Leoni (1686-1746) who refaced the house with Portland stone adding the corinthian portico to the south front and tuscan colonnades (later removed).
Click below to view
another egg albumen photograph of this house
taken at the same time from the same location:-